Here is yet another band from the land of a thousand lakes. I really do believe that there is a metal band under each and every rock in Finland. Find out more about ACHIOTE by reading this interview. Anders Ekdahl ©2017
I am a word buff so when I find a band name that excites me I want to
know the reason behind the choice. So how did you pick your name?
– It started out as a bit of an inside joke. The band was first suppose to be called Akkiot which the reversed spelling of our lead guitarist’s last name. Then it was refined to Achiote and we actually noticed that it made sense to us. There is a certain mysticism aspect in it.
There are so many genres and sub-genres today that it is hard to keep
track of them all. So what was it that made you pick the style you play?
– The style of music hasn’t been a conscious choice. It is what comes naturally. It is what we are and represents our feelings. But if you have to categorise, then it is a some kind of melodic metal which combines especially the roots from the 70s and 90s.
What influences you in creating your music? What is/has been the single
– The things that happen in your life. Especially on this new album it has been a major aspect. It’s been a tough period in the personal lives of our members. There’s been a severe illness, divorces and other similar stuff. They are all pretty heavy as you can imagine. You can hear that from the album. There’s not been a single greatest influence but more the combination of this all.
How important is it to have a message as a band?
– We see it important that there’s depth and message in what we say and what we play. It works for us as a channel to deconstruct our emotions. We hope that the listener can reflect with it.
Is image an important factor to the bands appearance?
– Everything has to look professional. That is the main point really. You have to stand out and look good. But you don’t want to exaggerate it and be something that you’re not. That is really import for us at least that we represent ourselves as we are.
How important is it to have an album cover that stands out to grab people’s attention in this day and age?
– The digital era doesn’t give the deserved credit to album art nowadays. That is very unfortunate. The little icon on your Spotify for example is quite different from the feeling of holding an actual album digipac in your hands. Not to even mention lp’s! Anyway we still consider it highly valuable to have as good album art as possible. In our case it is also
personal because the album covers are painted by our lead singer Janne. In that way you’ll get another aspect of the depth of the album. We recommend that you read the lyrics and then look at the album covers once again!
What kind of respect do you get from your local scene?
– It’s been very supportive. The first album ‘Deimos’ got excellent reviews and feedback. The band has also got lots of praises from live shows. Right now we’re having quite a hustle going on from the new album. Very good vibes!
How massive is it to get response from places you have never heard of?
– It is very flattering of course. We take every feedback in a humble manner. On the other hand especially with this new piece we know that we are holding a strong and a solid album in our hands.
Is playing live still a great way to get new fans to discover you?
– Live shows are just amazing. That’s one of the key reasons you do this. It is also an amazing feeling when you get an audience, that doesn’t necessarily know your material that well, on your side. It is import to be face-to-face with the fans. That’s one of the best ways for the fans to get to know you. Seeing a live show and possibly saying a few words after the show. And maybe even having a beer while chatting!
What does the future have in its womb?
– In the near future we’re gonna do a few shows here in Finland and also in Estonia. We’re also booking more to add shows to our album tour. We’re also doing promotion as much as possible. We think that the main focus point is outside of Finland especially for the promotion at the moment. In the distant future we have plans to conquer the Europe, especially Germany. Also we’ve been sending lots of stuff to the UK for example. In even more distant future we hope to conquer the whole world of course. Why
settle for less? It would be awesome to get to play and tour for instance in the USA. On the other hand we will shortly start to compose and write new material once again to keep the wheel spinning! You will hear from us again!