AGRATH is a band that intrigued me enough to wanting to know more about them. ©2016 Anders Ekdahl
I am a word buff so when I find a band name that excites me I want to know the reason behind the choice. So how did you pick your name?
-When we started the band I thought of having a name not very common for a band, so it was a hard choice but we came across the name of Agrath from a demonology book reference, talked about demonology in the Talmud (an ancient Hebrew text) so it really called our attention, and decided to go with it.
There are so many genres and sub-genres of metal today that it is hard to keep track of them all. So what was it that made you pick the style of metal you play?
– Since the beginning when I got into black metal, I was always interested in the early Scandinavian style, the grimness, cold, raw melodies from early Darkthrone, Mayhem, etc., it really caught my ear, so I decided I wanted to play this style, and that’s how it’s been since then.
What influences you in creating your music? What is/has been the single greatest influence?
– What’s happening on the world around us, that’s what inspires me to write and compose, all the decadence, famine, the world falling to pieces, etc. Society in general it’s what’s been my main influence.
How important is it to have a message as a band?
– It is very important as you want people to know what you stand for, and to release that message out is what it is all about. You don’t just make a band because you play an instrument and want to be cool or whatever, is not about that, it’s about delivering the message out to the masses, and in this case we do it in the form of black metal.
Is image an important factor to the bands appearance?
– Oh it is very important all right, the appearance it’s very crucial because it’s what the people or fans it’s what they see at first. Per say your band name is “The Black Infernal Goat” and on stage you wear a stripped pink and white shirt, shorts and sandals, that will definitely kill the image even if the music is great; the image is a very important factor for any band specially within the black metal genre.
How important is it to have an album cover that stands out to grab people’s attention in this day and age?
– It sure it’s important to have a good cover that represents what the music is about, and specially when it comes to black metal, you don’t see ‘happy colorful’ covers, that would keep away people who’s into the underground, so yeah album covers are very important for sure.
What kind of respect do you get from your local scene?
– Not being widely known has its advantages, specially in the local scene. We’re known by the people who’s truly into the underground, so I’d say we do get the necessary respect from them, they come to our shows, and buy our stuff; we spread the hate to them, and we get the respect back from them.
How massive is it to get response from places you have never heard of?
– It is a great feeling, to know your band is moving around in the underground. To know your music is being appreciated in remote corners of the world is a great accomplishment for us.
Is playing live still a great way to get bew fans to discover you?
– Yeah, I think is the most important way to get people to know you, even though we’ve done trades, and have promoted Agrath through social media and what not, but yes live performances give a gateway for people to get to know your band better.
What does the future have in its womb?
– At this point the future in uncertain for us. We recently released our second full-length “Thy Kingdom Come” and it’s getting quite a good response. As for Agrath nothing is planned for now, but time will tell if we are to unleash anything in the future.