I know that I should know of BLACK HAWK since they started in 1981 and released their debut in 1987 but I don’t. Until now that is. Anders Ekdahl ©2017
Let’s start with your latest recording. When you look back at it now what kind of feelings do you have for it?
– We have a very good feeling, because we think this one is the best of our recordings so far.
I am fascinated by band names. What was it that made you settle on the one you have and what does it mean to you?
– Well, there is no special reason or story concerning the name „Black Hawk“. The name was chosen already in 1981 because it´s a short name and easy to remember.
What does it mean to you that there are people out there that actually appreciate and look forward to what you are doing?
– We are very happy and proud that people like our music and we like to meet them when we do gigs. It´s an honor to us.
How important is image to the band? What impression do you want the fans to get of the band?
– This is a difficult question and I don´t know if we really have a special image. But to us it´s very important that the fans see we like to make music and write songs and play it for them.
I am a huge fan of LP art work. How important is it to have the right art work for your album?
– A good and professional art work was always important to us on every album we made. That´s the reason we have one special person (Markus Vesper) who does the art work for us. He always knows how to realize our ideas into pictures.
We live in a superficial world today where you don’t exist if you are not on Youtube and Facebook. Has social media been only beneficial in socializing with the fans or is there a down side to it too?
– Well as you know everything has to sides. The social media is a very good way to spread information to many others or even to the whole world and you can quick get in touch with each other. But in another way its also easy to bother or insult people. You have often to look for the truth because there is a lot of spam and fake news around.
When you play in a band does it feel like you are a part of a massive community? That you belong to something that gives meaning to your life?
– We don´t think so much about this all. We just make our music because we still like it an have fun playing together. Everyone of us has been making music since 30 years or longer.
When you are in the middle of it do you notice what state our beloved music scene is in? Is the scene healthy or does it suffer from some ailment?
– Oh, what a difficult question. I don’t want to judge about what´s healthy or sick. A lot of things are changing and for instance people don´t buy so much cds like before because it´s cheaper to stream the music or download it from different portals. This is good for the customer, but bad for the artist. So like I said before everything has two sides.
How much of a touring band are you guys? How hard is it to get gigs outside of your borders?
– We like to tour and play for our fans everywhere. It´s always a good thing to do. But on the other hand: we are all about 50 years old and have our families and jobs to do on workdays. So touring now gets a little bit harder than in the past when we were younger.
What will the future bring?
– Well, nobody knows?