CLOUDSCAPE is a Swedish band that has been in my conscious for some time but I’ve not really bothered to check out until now. Anders Ekdahl ©2016
As I am not at all familiar with your band perhaps you could introduce it?
– Of course. CLOUDSCAPE was formed in 2001. In late 2004 we released our first selftitled album worldwide and have since then released 5 studioalbums plus a limited “Best of” album. Our Music is best described as melodic metal with some progressive touches.
How hard was it for you guys to pick a name? What had that name have to have to fit your music?
– We started to compose Music and write lyrics to see what direction we ended up in…later on we discussed various bandnames that we considered suited our Music the best…voila = Cloudscape 🙂
What band(s) was it that turned you on to the kind of music you play? What inspires you today?
– Inspirations that led us to play our kind of Music is Everything from Classic metal bands such like Judas priest, Iron Maiden, Yngwie Malmsteen, Whitesnake etc to bands like Dream Theater, fates Warning, Symphony X and the likes. But, our true inspirations is Life itself, moods, nature, experiances etc…we don’t listen to other bands and Think; “this is cool, lets do something similar”. We write songs the way we feel is best without looking for inspiration in other bands.
What came first; the band name or the sound? How did you settle on a sound?
– Like I wrote earlier…the sound came first, then we came up with our bandname that we consider suits our Music perfectly
Is digital killing the album format? Is there anything good with releasing single tracks only?
– The CD format is slowly dying and that is sad. Digital streaming is absolutely cool but, personally I miss the “real feel” when “only” listening to streaming for example. But, a really damn cool thing is that the vinyls are coming back really fast. Almost all bands on the metal scene and even the pop scene is releasing their new albums on LP/Vinyl nowadays and some bands even reissues earlier albums on vinyls nowadays and that is awesomely cool!! We (Cloudscape) surely hope we can release atleast our latest album (Voice of reason) on vinyl later in 2016. Releasing single tracks can be cool in for an album release but, solely releasing a track every now and then I don’t Think is very exciting…
What part does art work and lay out play when you release new recordings? How do you best catch people’s attention
– I Think the Music is the first thing to Catch peoples attention but, of course a nice cover that Draws attention is a very good thing. If you asked me this question 10 years ago I would say the cover is very important but, considering nowadays streaming World things have changed and that is kinda sad.
Has social media re-written the rules on how to promote a cd? Or do you go about doing promotion the same way? Touring, word of mouth, paper ads etc?
– I Think the promotion goes just like it Always have like you mention plus website advertising, Facebook, Reverbnation etc etc.
Do you feel like you are a part of a scene, locally, nationally and internationally?
– Absolutely. Apart from Cloudscape I’m also singer in a band called FULLFORCE that have released 2 albums and includes members that earlier played with Hammerfall, Yngwie J. Malmsteen plus more. We did a tour with Edguy 4 years ago. When it copmes to Cloudscape we have almost visited all countries in Europé for live shows and touring. I have personally also recorded other albums with Bob Daisley (ex gary Moore, ex Black Sabbath, ex Ozzy Osbourne), Magnus Karlsson (Primal Fear), Mattias “IA” Eklundh (Freak Kitchen), Magnus Rosén (ex Hammerfall), Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon, Star One) plus many more:)
How much of a touring band are you? Is touring/gigging still a great way of spreading the word of the band?
– Touring and doing single gigs are Always a good thing. We are both a touring band and a “single gig” band plus “festival band”. A few years back we played at Sweden Rock Festival….we have played at UKs Bloodstock Open Air plus many more festivals in Europé and Scandinavia.
What will the future bring?
– More albums, more liveshows, more devotion to the metal Music:). And hopefully the latest album on vinyl
Live photos courtesy of Helenas Photo ©2015 Helena Sulce