It takes guts to reveal you inner most thoughts through music and lyrics. Which makes this bands name somewhat perfect. Because COWARDS they are not. Anders Ekdahl ©2017
Do you feel that is has gone the way you intended when you formed back in the days?
– I never really think about the futur of the band… because it never goes the way you want. So if you expect nothing, you’re not disappointed ! This music is extreme and elitist, I have no real hopes.
How do you feel about your latest recording? Did it come out the way you expected it to?
– We’re very pleased with the result. The production is not a « modern » one, we have our own sound, it doesn’t sound like other extreme bands.
Do you feel that you by now has found a sound that is the band and that you can build on it ?
– Yes, our music really has a personality of its own and we will keep doing that.
Is having a message in the lyrics important to you? What kind of topics do you deal with?
– There is no particular message. It’s just a story, an amnesiac spirit surrounded by emptiness. We’re following his journey.
How important is the cover art work for you? Can a really cool cover still sell an album in this day and age of digital download?
– The cover is the album’s visual identity. A part of its character. It’s interesting to see how a band graphically interprets its own music. A good cover may encourage someone to buy a CD but that’s not what were looking for, we just wanted a cover that do justice to the music.
Why is it so hard for bands that come from places not the US or UK/Sweden/Scandinavia to break big? What is success to you and is it something you’d like to achieve?
– I think Metal and Extreme Metal have deeper roots in these countries, there is certainly more support from fans. Success ? If success means touring and good proposals i’m OK !
Today the competition is harder. You got plenty of digital platforms for new talent to display their music. How do you do to really stand out in a world where everything but the music is blind to the listener?
– I confess that promotion is not something I’m good at, it’s a real job, that’s why we work with DOOWEET ( our press agent ) for this record. I think the best way to stand out is to give fucking good shows.
What is your local scene like? How important is a national scene for a band to be able to break out and make it international?
– the Parisian « underground » scene is not very well… We organize our own concerts. A strong national scene can help bands to practice, then they can evolve in other countries.
Rock and metal has come a long way since the early 70s but still some people’s attitudes towards it seem to be left in the stone age. How accepted is metal in your area? Is it like in Finland where it seems to come with the mother’s milk?
– It will never be in french DNA like it’s in finnish DNA but Rock and Metal live among styles without any problems.
What does the future hold for you?
– More blasts and more shows !