I don’t usually believe the hype but I made an exception for Sweden’s DAYS OF JUPITER. Read what they have to say for themselves. Anders Ekdahl ©2018 <!–more–>
What kind of vision did you have when you started and how has it changed over the years?
-Right from the start we wanted to play a modern style of metal, with crushing riffs, soaring guitars and great vocals with a lot of melodies and big choruses. We want to make music that as many as possible may like and dig. I think that it has been that way since our debut album in 2012.
location mean anything today? We used to hear about how it was all location,
location, location back in the days if you wanted to make it big? That you had
to come from a certain place to be sure to make it.
– The world is so much “smaller” today with Internet so I don´t think it really matters that much. But I surely think that it helps to be located in a big city, due to the fact that it is more gigs, showcases, managements, bookers and recordlabels located there.
What is it
like to be a in a band and to get to tour all over the world? What kind of
feelings do that bring about?
– It is a priveliege to make music that people can relate to and really like. People can find comfort, strenght, happiness or just rock out to our music. We have had people reaching out to us and thanking us for a specific song that has helped them go through some hard times. Playing live is a great ego-boost with people showing up at our gigs and singing, headbanging and rocking with us. It´s really fun to perform live and play our songs the way the should be played, with great energy.
of feedback have you had on your music, your latest album and in general? How
important is feedback?
– Our latest album “Panoptical” has recieved outstanding reviews and that is really cool because I think it is so much easier to promote the music when magazines, reviewers, bloggers writing about the album. Feedback is a great thing and it helps to develop the band, but it could also be a bad thing if you are listening to much to feedback and you try to write music with the feedback in mind. I think it´s important to write music from the heart, and not payt much attention to what everyone else says.
How do you
know that you have written a “hit” song? Is there a particular feeling you get
when you know that this is the one, this is the big “make it song”?
– It´s hard to know if a song you´ve written is gonna be popular or not. Sometimes a song on the album that we think is gonna be the “hit” does not become the hit. Instead a song that we would consider one of the “weaker” on the album becomes popular. I think in general you can tell that a song is going to be good when you rehearse it and it just sounds good and feels right.
As I am no
musician I will never got to know the difference of analogue and digital. Can
you explain the difference to me? what are the pros and cons of analogue V/S
– Older ways of recording and producing music includes an analog mixingboard and tapes and music on vinyl has a warmer tone and a more vibrant sound compared to the digital. On the other hand, everything is so much easier with the digital both when listening to it (spotify, youtube. etc) and when recording and producing music. I can´t hear that much difference and I like the modern way so I go for digital.
What is it
like to have people you never met liking your music and singing along to it at
– Its a cool thing!! Today it´s so much easier to be a “fan” when you can interact with the bands you like on facebook, Instagram and other social medias. It´s cool that you can follow a band that close and to be a part of a community.
important are lyrics to you guys? Do you have any messages that you want to get
– Yeah, lyrics are important. We write lyrics that is close to heart and has an real life approach. No Sci-Fi, dragons or magical castles as we want people to be able to relate to and find something in out lyrics that “talks” to them.
I love a
really cool cover but I get the feeling that today with all this digital
uploading/downloading people aren’t that concerned about artwork. How do you
– Album covers and the whole visual aspect of a band is really important in my book. Hopefully the whole package is there with the songs, the looks and the feel. it´s nice to buy a that has a great cover cause it can make the music even a little better.
What does the future hold?
– We want to play live as much as possible so we are currently looking into some tours and festival gigs. Also we has begun writing material for an 2020 release.