HEAVY GENERATION has nothing to do with obese children. It is just a very fitting name to this band’s music. Anders Ekdahl ©2018
Do you feel that is has gone the way you intended when you formed back in the days?
– Yes, after so many line-up changes we are finally okay; we have found the right alchemy, each of us does exactly what we have to do in the right way, there is a great balance between us.
How do you feel about your latest recording? Did it come out the way you expected it to?
– Our recording is good, we would have preferred to play everything directly at the same time but it seems good to us the final effect of the album, we will improve with the next one.
Do you feel that you by now has found a sound that is the band and that you can build on it?
– We worked a lot on the sounds, starting from our tools that are all homemade … even the measurements of the various components of the drums and crashes are oversized, all in order to make our sound unique and powerful. Also a great help was given us by our recording studio that did a great job of sound engineering, especially for bassguitar sounds…we spent many hours to find the perfect Heavy Generation sound but at the end we did it! Finally everything was brought to the maximum with the arrangement of the songs … we don’t play to show that we are good musicians but to send our messages through our songs, this is our final goal and all four of us work constantly, day after day.
Is having a message in the lyrics important to you? What kind of topics do you deal with?
– Of course, messages in the lyrics of our songs are very important. We speak of mythology, honor, war and dystopia and even the deep connection between the spirit and the nature, the balance between the passions of heart and the power of mind. We celebrate all this in a personal way. These are the most important messages that the band wants to spread.
How important is the cover art work for you? Can a really cool cover still sell an album in this day and age of digital download?
– This is a good question … We believe that the artwork is extremely important for a band that plays heavy metal, so far we have collaborated with two designers who have understood exactly how to translate our messages into images. Of course we know that we won’t even sell remotely as the bands of the time were twenty or thirty years ago but a good cover or atrwork can attract the attention of many more people, and that’s good! It’s just a front of everything that lies behind but it’s still important, wait to see our t-shirt … they will not go unnoticed!
Why is it so hard for bands that come from places not the US or UK/Sweden/Scandinavia to break big? What is success to you and is it something you’d like to achieve?
– It is very difficult in a country like ours, here there is very little musical culture of music played, regardless of the genre of music … Live music venues are less and less and they struggle a lot to survive, the boys prefer to go to those fucking nightclubs where there is artificial music made with the computer … But we do not care about fucking this, we march on our way with our brothers, the world is our place! Also for this reason our lyrics are in English, they can be understood by many people all over the world.
Today the competition is harder. You got plenty of digital platforms for new talent to display their music. How do you do to really stand out in a world where everything but the music is blind to the listener?
– It will be difficult, but with hard work and starting to play around more and more we are sure that the results will be excellent, in the end … Heavy metal has never died and we are living proof of this, there are many metalheads waiting for groups like ours to go back to listening to good music, going to have fun at concerts and festivals all together. We will do our best on digital platforms but our ultimate goal is to make ourselves known by playing … only in this way you can see a value of a band, not counting sales …
What is your local scene like? How important is a national scene for a band to be able to break out and make it international?
– The national scene in our country is almost absent. Certainly we have the intention to perform and play in Italy but as we said before we want to play beyond our borders, starting from Europe where we have our first distribution … to do all this our local scene does not help us even a little …
Rock and metal has come a long way since the early 70s but still some people’s attitudes towards it seem to be left in the stone age. How accepted is metal in your area? Is it like in Finland where it seems to come with the mothers milk?
– We do not care about the judgment of those fucking people who do it without knowing anything but only prejudice … you know what I mean, long hair, studs, leather, custom bikes. We have always been like that and we do not give a fuck, there is so much hypocrisy and ignorance around that sometimes make us want to throw up!
What does the future hold for you?
– Many live shows and many metalheads who will have to know Heavy Generation because Heavy Metal is not dead !!!