KING SATAN is another Finnish band that I didn’t know existed. So to find out more I decided to interview the band. Anders Ekdahl ©2016
How hard was it to come up with a band name and how does the name fit the music?
– It was pretty easy. I was at the grocery store and saw “Soy King” sauce in the shelves which I bought only because of the name and then I realized that I need to name my project KING SATAN.
As I am new to your band perhaps a short introduction might be in order?
– KING SATAN is industrial & electro metal project founded in 2015 by yours truly a.k.a. ALEISTER SATAN. My music is a kind of combination of electro-industrial and extreme metal where experimentation plays a major role as I play with whole lot of different elements from very wide range of influences actually. At this point KING SATAN has released only one demo EP together with two singles ”Enter Black Fire” and ”Psygnosis” and I am working on full-length album with bunch of talented musicians and electro-maniacs who are helping me to execute the vision I have. From these musicians Kate Boss in synths&vocals, John Oscar Dee in bass and B.B. Kill in guitars are also permanently with me as we play live too these days which would be very hard for me to do alone, not impossible though, but I like it this way better to play with a band line-up.
As I am no musician I have no idea how it works, but how do you make your own music based on what influences you? What parts do you pick?
– To be a musician doesn’t mean automatically that you can be creative or compose. One of my best friends are most awesome musicians, but they suck when it comes to composing. To be an artist is whole another thing. To be an artist you gotta have a vision. And when there’s a will there’s a way. I don’t choose to pick any influences to my music. If something has influenced me really, it is part of my being and has and will make me what I am and it affects subconsciously to everything I do, including creativity. Creativity and therefore composing, music, art – all that – is part of channeling your deepest being and true will and you don’t really have to think too much to channel your pure creativity. ”Feel, don’t think.”
When you are in a band does it feel like you are a part of a worldwide movement?
– We have already thousands of fans around the world even without releasing full length album yet! For instance, we just came from Bulgaria’s Sofia where we played a concert for Gothic Sofia Fest with great success, so maybe there’s something there! Craziest part is that we even have some fans and followers who haven’t even heard our music yet! Literally, we get countless contacts from people all over the world – especially from Africa for some reason – asking KING SATAN to help them to get black magick powers and occult wisdom. KING SATAN is not just a band project, it is a movement. Fuck the rest, Satan is best.
How important is it that you look the part in promo shots and stuff? How important is the graphic side of the band?
– Everything is symbolism, words, numbers, gestures, body language… as they refer to something else than itself (in comparison to icons for instance). So consciously build construction of symbolism (in this case graphic side) related to each other and linked to lyrical and musical side makes a continuum of the spiritual side of the art where there are no difference between each state and all states supports each other. In other words, yes is is kind of important. I like pictures.
What would you say influences your lyrics? How important are they?
– Ultimately? The truth! Or better yet, seeking of the truth – cos “Trust the ones who seeks the truth, but run from those who claim to have found it”. The world and mankind both are so fucked up and dramatically twisted, so both of them really needs to be shaken back to its rails. Question is that which ones of all of the available ones are the right rails actually? If you don’t know, the answer is spiritual anarchy of which will be the main theme of our becoming debut full length album. The songs from the EP and singles are dealing with occultism, mysticism, (para-)psychology, science, theology, sociology, history, sex, magick and rock’n’roll etc… the world and existence itself as we perceive it or should perceive it (or should absolutely not perceive it?). So, lyrics are naturally and OBVIOUSLY very important part of our music and the same themes will continue with becoming full length debut album too. I have never understood the view where either lyrics or music is more important than the other. For me they have always come together.
Is the album as relevant today as it was in the 70s and 80s? Is digital killing the album?
– I don’t know I wasn’t born yet to this body. I was between reincarnations at the time so my memory is hazy. I died in 1947 and born to this body in 1989. My job is to wake up mankind from the dreamlike state almost majority of people are psychologically suggested in. I am a reincarnation of Aleister Crowley and before that I was Attila the Hun but also lots of people who never made it into history. One of them was pretty cool farmer who could do autofellation.
Where will the future of format end – digital verses physical verses whatever?
– Hopefully the future format is metaphysical that kills this digital vs physical comparison and takes mankind to next transcendental plane of existence. Music is magick at best and magick elevates our consciousness.
How much of a touring entity are you guys? What is a live experience with you like?
– We haven’t been in a tour yet, but played single live gigs at concerts and festivals. This week we played together with Swedish PAIN and Finnish TURMION KÄTILÖT here at our hometown Tampere, Finland and just confirmed couple of gigs playing with PERTURBATOR and CARPENTER BURT early next year. It is next to impossible for me to explain objectively how people experience our live as I am performing there and not in the audience. But so far, there has been dancing, head banging and even moshpits in the audience which is bizarre combination that suits more than well for KING SATAN!
What lies in the future?
– Ugh, kind of heavy question for a musician, but Stephen Hawking said that mankind will be perished within next 1000 years. I’d go with that. Before that though KING SATAN will do few albums. First of them will be out in early 2017 and it is also KING SATAN’ debut full length album so stay tuned. King Satan means sex magick and rock’n’roll. SALUTE!