With so many cool bands out there to check out I offer you some minor guidance by introducing you to LAPSUS DEI. Anders Ekdahl ©2020
Let’s start with your latest recording. When you look back at it now what kind of feelings do you have for it?
— Our lastest album was “Broken Memories”, a joint work with Officium Triste. For us, it meant the beginning of our musical transition in style and the way we approach to our audience. It leads me to a time of extreme uncertainty, I mean… We perfectly knew what we wanted to achieve and the path we were about to take, but it meant a transition that’s now culminating finally in our new release “Sea of Deep Reflections”. During the recording of “Sea of Deep Reflections” we felt the entire energy and satisfaction that we were completing a vision, and a profound desire of becoming more than we were.
I am fascinated by band names. What was it that made you settle on the one you have and what does it mean to you?
– Well, we’ve been making music for 20 years now, and we came up to the name by analyzing how mankind has been throughout our existence. For the band members, naming the band was pretty straight forward, because all of us understood that we wanted to communicate: the deepness and inconsistency of our behavior. Lapsus means a mistake therefore our focus on this point is that mankind is a divine error. For us, that would be a way to comprehend human nature, understand why we destroy everything around us and our self-destructive behavior. It’s also a name that allows us to create music and lyrics in a variety of prospects, generating and supporting mysticism and atmosphere.
What does it mean to you that there are people out there that actually appreciate and look forward to what you are doing?
– For us, transmitting thru our music its essential, for that to happen there must be a public with the willing of letting us into a part of their lives. We know there are many people that has connected with our music and our everyday work it’s for them, as a band we deeply hope to meet everyone’s expectations, the feeling for us is a mixture of boundless commitment, excitation and hope.
How important is image to the band? What impression do you want the fans to get of the band?
– We believe that image is highly important, for us is another resource to transmit our ideas and connect with people, without it we would never be able to fulfill our concept, also we want to show the growth that we have acquired in all these years..
I am a huge fan of LP art work. How important is it to have the right art work for your album?
– As in the previous question, the artwork is as well extremely important to pass on the message. In our lastest album “Sea of Deep Reflections” the artwork was extremely studied by our friends of the Chilean artwork company “Medu1a” and we expect that our public feels as satisfied as we do with the exquisite content we’ve made.
We live in a superficial world today where you don’t exist if you are not on Youtube and Facebook. Has social media been only beneficial in socializing with the fans or is there a down side to it too?
– Well we don’t believe the entire world is superficial at all, there’s a huge amount of people that can transcend the barriers of everyday usual content. As for the question, there’s always something good about what people have to say, as artists we have the duty of extracting what can be something useful in our path to become a better group. Although that has a price in time, for you to have the connection and participation of fans needed to become an important band, you must invest a lot of it, time that sometimes is taken from rehearsals or our private life.
When you play in a band does it feel like you are a part of a massive community? That you belong to something that gives meaning to your life?
– For Lapsus Dei, the community is almost the most important thing. Our fans are an extension of the band, without them all we do wouldn’t have any sense: they are the receptors of the message, and a message without any receptor it’s pointless. During our career we have been extremely aware of sharing with the people we find in our way, letting them enter in our life as artists, that’s what we aim for: Creating this community, hopefully every day bigger.
When you are in the middle of it do you notice what state our beloved music scene is in? Is the scene healthy or does it suffer from some ailment?
– We believe that music transcends time and culture, we have the mission of becoming the transmitter of certain musical style if you want to call it someway. Its well known that our beloved metal is not in the best of times, but “we consider it a challenge before the whole human race and we ain’t gonna loose”. Anyway, we believe that musicians can develop their careers in a much richer way if we all are more willing to collaborate with other artists as we go on.
How much of a touring band are you guys? How hard is it to get gigs outside of your borders?
– Well, Lapsus Dei has been in some countries of Southamerica in the past, but that’s been almost all for us outside Chile, here in the local scene is quite frequently to gig and share our music with our fans. Yet we have a huge number of followers around the world, in Sweden, Russia, United States, Italy, Spain and Mexico among many others. We know that time will give us the chance to share with all our fans. That’s one of our deepest desires and we are confident that producers will highly appreciate our new release “Sea of Deep Reflections”, leading us to share that experience worldwide.
What will the future bring?
– That’s something no one of us knows. But we can share what we hope from it… and there are many hopes and desires. Our goal is to transcend and leave a legacy, thru that being able to share our music throughout the world and sharing the stage with other artists and bands.
In short terms we hope that our new release,available from June 16th in Sliptrik Records, “Sea of Deep Reflections” spreads through the world by internet, physical cds and resulting in concerts in the whole world. Fulfilling the expectations of our listeners and connecting every day with a new kind of public.
First single: https://soundcloud.com/sliptrickrds/lapsus-dei-the-call-of-sirens
Album pre-order: https://deadpulse.com/product/lapsus-dei-sea-of-deep-reflections/