MOONSPELL don’t need any sort of introduction. If you are not familiar with this band you should be ashamed. Anders Ekdahl ©2018
How hard was it to come up with a band name and how does the name fit the music?
– Before Moonspell we were called Morbid God. This is when i came into the band and they only had one promotional track called “Serpent Angel” . With the new members it made sense to change the name to something more mature . There were a couple of other suggestions but Moonspell stuck . We are very found of nature and all its elements to life. Also the fascination for wolves and what the Moon brings out in us. We have many tails of iberian Wolves in our land. It fits perfectly to our music! The contrasts of and darkness and beauty we try to achieve !I think we were lucky to have such a cool name .
Today there are not really any geographic borders for music but when you started it was a lot different. How tough was it to come from Portugal and play extreme metal? Did you feel that you were totally embraced by the metal community from day one?
-True the times have changed so much that i do feel like a fossil ! We were deep into the underground with tape trading and doing local fanzines . Try to get our hands on anything we could from the metal scene. We were always different from most metal bands and the support was never the best . I think after touring abroud we developed more respect from the Portuguese audience ! I do feel that places like Germany , Holland , Belgium most of Europe that is. Yes i think we had there support from the first time they saw us live! It was 95 and we were nobody in the metal scene . Yet on that first tour with Morbid Angel and Immortal the response was overwhelming . So much our record label at the time Century Media put all there effort in making us one of there top priorities ! It was all so quick its hard to process and pretty amazing coming from a culture with no Metal background . No support our respect . But now things have changed he he
As I am no musician I have no idea how it works, but how do you make your own music based on what influences you? What parts do you pick?- Its a complex process and has changed over the years!
-We started like any other kids just jamming in a garage with poor instruments and no idea what good sound was! But looking back, its more the emotion of what inspired you as a listener that you put in your own music. Picking the parts in our case is always obvious . It has to flow and make sense ! The lyrics play a major roll . There are moments that we build the music to comfort the vocals. Or a special moment of surprise or anguish . Our music is very theatrical in our minds . We follow many rules of composition but some times we must follow also our instincts and human nature.
When you are in a band does it feel like you are a part of a worldwide movement?
– When we started we felt part of something strong .That was the underground . It was worldwide but very small and limited people were part of that circle . Today things have changed so much with internet and media that its impossible to not feel connected . The band becomes part of many peoples lives besides your friends in the garage jamming ! We have traveled all over the world and met so many people from different cultures ! Metal is huge and getting bigger . Especially countries that were denied access to metal music like Portugal in the past . There is a need for this genre and the proof is when you go to the big festivals our 70.000 tons of metal and you have people from everywhere. So yes we are very part of a worldwide movement. So proud of it too!
How important is it that you look the part in promo shots and stuff? How important is the graphic side of the band?
– For Moonspell the image and everything that has our name on it is very important. Since our first demo we always tried to make things to our best ability and the most artistic possible. The photos are always a confirmation in what we believe in. For us we as kids always looked at the photos and covers of our favourite bands. The atitude and details were fabulous! This has inspired us to continue this culture the way in was intended. Life is already pretty boring so its our obligation to look the part and live the music. If we don’t believe in it how can our fans our future musicians take us seriously . To be professional in everything is what makes some bands stand out. thats at least what we try to do .
What would you say influences your lyrics? How important are they?
– Well Fernando has wrote all the lyrics for Moonspell from day one! He is very inspired by literature and poetry ! Also Philosophy was a big part of his life while studying . Portugal our history and culture including famous writers has all contributed to Fernandos writing . We take the lyrics very seriously . There must always be a story with some meaning our knowledge to make you question our existence !
Is the album as relevant today as it was in the 70s and 80s? Is digital killing the album?
– Well in terms of the experience i think these days we take music for granted. There is so much to pick from and so easy access . In the 70´s and 80´s bands made albums and not single tracks. Of course you had the one hit wonders. But still nothing compared to these days. We listened to them as an experience from beginning to end and respecting the bands view. To make an album also cost a lot of money back then. So you had to be good with some experience . I think this made the times more special for that reason also . Anyone can record now at little expense in a small amount of time. think that artists would stay months our even a year in the studio ! Crazy we are fortunate to be part of both eras . The digital is here to provide us with new tools. We have incorporated that in our way of working over the years. A good album will always stand out no matter what !
Where will the future of format end – digital verses physical verses whatever?
-Have no idea ! I remember using cassetes with a walkman ! The physical version will always be around because we love to collect things ! It will probably get more rare over the years ! The prices today of certain albums on vinyl from the 90´s are insane. The digital version is so easy and quick that it will last for a long time and not sure we will see any new formats! Just in virtual realities with special equipment to give you the sensation of being at a live show! Not sure but still believe in getting together with friends to see the bands you love live or just hang out and share opinions on music ! Hope that never dies out !
What is a live experience with you like? What emotions do you want me to leave a gig with?
– For us like i said its always more then the music live. We want people to leave enlighten . Wanting more like if it was a drug you cant kick. The discovery of something new that wasn’t expected. The best for me is when people say you sound way bigger live! Or before seeing you live i didn’t take much interest in your music . When this happens i know in my heart we are doing and performing the way we wish for. Its hard to control but every show is unique and there are no good or bad! They all matter and we give are best every time !
What lies in the future?
-For now we are promoting 1755 and go in on tour supporting Cradle of Filth in Europe from the 18th of January to the 5th of March! After that we will do a small Russian tour followed by SoUth America and Central America. We also have plans of returning to the States and Canada late 2018. Lets see there is much to do at the Moonspell Camp ! We are excited with this new album and phase in our career . Its been 25 years and the flame is still burning ! More albums too come and who the hell knows what else !