This week I am doing a Inverse Records interview special. If you haven’t checked out the quality metal this Finnish label brings us now is the time. I present to you PERPETUAL RAGE. Anders Ekdahl ©2017
Could you please introduce yourself to those of us in the dark?
– We are Perpetual Rage, a heavy metal band from Finland. The band was founded in Kuopio and the year was 2009.
The band’s current line-up: Tomi Viiltola – Vocals, Ari Helin – Bass & backing vocals, Petri Hallikainen – Guitar, Kari Hyvärinen – Drums.
This interview is made by guitarist Petri, rest of dudes were busy at the moment.
I often wonder how people discover that they can do what they do. How did you discover that you can sing and play instruments?
– We were teenagers when we were interested in hard rock and heavy metal music. That was late eighties and early nineties. We thought it would be nice to start playing by ourself.
So each of us started to practice his own instrument. Of course, at that time, we did not know each other.
It was clear from the very beginning what instrument each one wanted to play.
For me the guitar was an easy choice because I listened and followed a lot of guitarists like Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Yngwie Malmsteen, George Lynch, Roope Latvala etc..
When did it become a revelation that you can do this and maybe get paid for having fun, instead of just putting out all the money?
– It was way back then when we had the first bands with whom to practice etc , each of us separately of course, it was middle and late nineties.
Then we noticed that we can do this, we can do own songs, we can play live on stage etc.. We noticed that we have skills to do this.
When you spend an amount of your life on a band does it ever feel like you have wasted time, that you have fought one too many windmills?
– No!! Absolutely never!! On the contrary, this is a lifestyle for us. For example, the earlier bands before Perpetual Rage did not lead to anything but we learn a lot from them.
The current situation with Perpetual Rage is very great, the road goes on, spirit is good etc.. Of course, everything is not always easy like “dancing on roses”.
How could it be even possible in any band?
Sometimes there were windmills but they have been small windmills, haha! What does not kill you…. Yeah, ya know that line!
No matter how small or big you were as a band you will leave a legacy behind you. How do you want people to treat this legacy?
– With gentleness and emotion! Haha! Well, i hope that people will remember the band as they give it all. And as an honest heavy metal band.
Is digital taking away the mystery of waiting for a new album now that you can upload as soon as you have written a song?
– Of course, after all, it is certainly took away that mystery. But this is the modern time that we live and we act and deal with that.
I think there´s some good sides with that.
How important is image in separating you from all the million different styles of metal there is out there?
– I think it is very important. First of all, you must have good songs to present. Our image is traditional, you know, black or blue jeans, black leather chaps, black leather jackets etc.
Maybe we are too lazy to get some special metal clothing etc.. haha!! Or paint our faces with war painting etc.. ya know.
Do you deal in different topics lyrically or do you keep to one, just using different variations?
– We deal with many topics. We do scifi, horror, war and fantacy topics. And also we do topics that come from real life, from different things. But not love topics!! Haha!
All the lyrics comes from me and from Tomi.
Do you consider yourself a live artist or do you like to spend most of the time secluded in a studio?
– I think it´s both. We like to spend time in a studio, but also we love to take our backline into the van and go to play rockin´ live gig wherever . Both work!
How much of a touring band are you guys? What memories do you take with you?
– We do usually from 5 to 8 gigs in a year all around Finland. Of course we want to do a little bit more gigs and gigs abroad too, like all aroud Europe etc..
Maybe it´s possible someday.. It´s so big deal to go and do some gigs or even tours outside of Finland. It need a “enough big machine” if ya know what i mean. A damn lot of money..
And of course it need some kind of success for band, and album, even a little, that´s worth to go. But just gigging around will increase the name..
What does the future hold?
– The near future, i mean the rest of the year 2017, hold some gigs, new song compositions, training new songs, and then design a recording schedule.
I think we will be in recording sessions along the year 2018, and somewhere among there will be some gigs too.