SCHERBENTANZ have a very German feel to their music. Strict and very controlled. And really cool. Answers by Virgil. Anders Ekdahl ©2018
1. Let’s start with your latest recording. When you look back at it now what kind of feelings do you have for it? As our debut Album it is great to look back at the work we did. It was a lot of work but we hope it will pay off. The moment when you put your own first CD into a player is just amazing. We also had a great time in the Studio. Recording the Songs and coming together in the Studio is an incredible feeling and pulled our band more together.
2. I am fascinated by band names. What was it that made you settle on the one you have and what does it mean to you? Our name comes from the German Words Shards and dance. Dancing on Shards as you like. Ancient messengers warned us to execute this dance. It animates us, the children who reside on this earth, to follow the call of the no man’s land through ancient worlds and ruins. No one can escape it. No one is its slave. Its song is shadow, sun and suffering. We must obey it. We must carry it out to extremes. Decadently treading forward. Black heart, rough spirit, exhausted. Driven by lust and despair we will follow it entangled until the horizon. Dancing towards the very end.
3. What does it mean to you that there are people out there that actually appreciate and look forward to what you are doing? A band is nothing without their Fans. All people who support us are important for us. And now with our CD we can fulfill finally the wishes of lots of fans. They always asked after our shows if we have CD´s. And such a response is just another motivation to be continuing.
4. How important is image to the band? What impression do you want the fans to get of the band? Image is really important of course. The bands concept is the merging of aesthetic and drama, incarnated through powerful melodies, incisive vocals, heaving rhythms and electrifying industrial. German lyrics form an uncompromising expression of emotions and wordplays in addition to pounding distorted guitars and atmospheric synthesizer sound.
5. I am a huge fan of LP art work. How important is it to have the right art work for your album? Our art work expresses exactly what we are. A reflection of black and white. Ancient Worlds with modern messages. The world of Scherbentanz is not only black and white. Light exists besides shadow, hope besides suffering, desire and dreams.
Shredding the front Cover with a Hammer shows that we reflect the destruction of old Ruins to rebuild them to not forget the past. We even had the Photo shooting in an old deserted Chemistry Company. The Image of Ruins, shattered Glass and old Industry equipment inspired us for the artwork and for our lyrics as well.
6. We live in a superficial world today where you don’t exist if you are not on Youtube and Facebook. Has social media been only beneficial in socializing with the fans or is there a down side to it too? Social Media is not the only way to reach out to our fans. But nowadays Facebook etc. is the best way to inform your fans about Gig´s and Concerts. In reverse we get the most followers after a show. So they recognize us live and stay tuned over social media.
7. When you play in a band does it feel like you are a part of a massive community? That you belong to something that gives meaning to your life? For all members in the band music is something special. Every time we practice or we play on stage it is an amazing feeling. We are all 100% musicians and that´s what gives everybody the feeling we are one community with our band.
8. When you are in the middle of it do you notice what state our beloved music scene is in? Is the scene healthy or does it suffer from some ailment? We are not completely a scene band. Different than other metal bands we are a mix between Industrial-Metal and Gothic. So we play in different scenes. But everywhere we play all the people are friendly. So after all the state of the music scenes are healthy.
9. How much of a touring band are you guys? How hard is it to get gigs outside of your borders? We never played outside Germany. We would love to go on tour. Now with our release we hope we will get a few concerts outside from Germany. We are ready for a tour and hot to Rock the rest of Europe.
10. What will the future bring? I hope we will play a few bigger festivals in the future. Also the future will bring new music videos and in the far future a new album. We are already composing some new songs.