WHEN REASON COLLAPSE is a band that I found on Facebook. As I really liked what I heard I had to interview them. Anders Ekdahl ©2017
As you might not be that known to most people a short introduction might be in order.
– Hello, we are When Reasons Collapse, a French melodic deathcore band based in Paris.
Members of the band are: Cristina (vocals), Thierry and Julien (guitars), Michaël (bass) and Guillaume (drums)
How does this new album compare to the previous ones?
– Our upcoming album is more brutal than our previous releases. We’ve also worked more on the technic and the sound to propose something better.
As in our “DARK PASSENGER” album, this one will have its own background, still surrounded by the dark universe of the band.
Was it hard for you to come up with a sound you all could agree on?
– Only Thierry is in charge of the composition and the sound, he usually comes up with great ideas and there are only minor adaptations made if needed.
How important are the lyrics to you? What kind of topics do you deal with?
– Lyrics is the twin of the music itself. It reinforces the soul of the song.
Usually the themes explored by Cristina are well combined to the music composed by Thierry, it puts words on the feeling already brought by the sound of the instruments.
Our music if violent but melodic, the lyrics are rough, tortured.
We talk about the dark sides of humankind: Mental illnesses, coping with death, wars, pedophilia, rape, domestic violence, being trapped in a world where we don’t belong…
How important is the cover art work for you? How much do you decide in choosing art work?
– Artwork is essential for us. We are very regarding towards every visual part of our cds and merchandise.
Most of the time we have a precise idea of what we want, and work with awesome artists that get the spirit of the music and the world of When Reasons Collapse.
Everything has to fit the music, the lyrics and the atmosphere of the topics.
Where outside of your country have you had success with your previous albums?
– We’ve haven’t reached a real success for now, but we’ve crossed 17 countries of Europe where we have been really well received. And we really hope to conquer the world!
Why is it that we do not see more metal bands from your country making it big internationally?
– French mentality toward music isn’t really open minded.
It’s not like the countries surrounding us, which are way more open to discover new talents (Germany for example, England…), but hey, we have Gojira, that’s a start!
They might be opening doors for other french metal acts.
What is your local metal scene like? What status does does your band have in the national metal scene?
– Our local metal scene is full of great talents, maybe too much. Unfortunately, there are way too much shows, so people don’t really bother to come anymore except for big headlines.
We’re a bit drowned in all this, but we’re almost a 10 years old band, that’s becoming rare. I’d say we are in the middle range of the french metal bands. Not a huge stuff, but we’re not a small band anymore.
What is the general populations opinion on metal? Is being a metal musician a respectable choice?
– Metal is still very underground, average people don’t undertand the music behind the violence, I think that’s why the French scene is behind the other countries.
Seeing a girl screaming on stage is really weird for most of the people here.
As long as you have a common job, being a metal musician aside is not a problem.
What does the future hold for you?
– We just finished to record our new album and are still touring to promote the last one: DARK PASSENGER but we’re currently playing new songs so the shows are different from what we proposed the last two years.
We’re also announcing soon a new tour, and are currently booking a few shows for the next season. We’re working hard so we can be on tour again and again!